Thursday, May 27, 2021

MEMORIAL DAY

 Observance at Veterans Park..Time changed to 8 am

Memorial Day

On Monday, May 31st, the American Legion will honor our fallen veterans at our flag lowering

service. The service will be held at Surfside’s Veterans Park, located at 306th & I Street and will

begin promptly at 8:00 am. Please come and show your support.

About the Park..

This Park is located on two lots owned by the association. There is one lot on each side of the canal.  Before development, there was only the pedestrian bridge and the lots were covered with brush, grass and scrub trees.

The then serving Board President, Warren Olson, approached a Community Relations Committee member, George Miller,  and asked him to prepare a concept and design to improve these two lots.  He cited his and the Boards approval of the work in the recent design and  improvement at the Twin Lakes Cabana on Bear Lake.   The rejuvenation at Twin Lakes was designed by Miller.

As with Twin Lakes, the Veterans Park development became a community project with member volunteers and Surfside employees, all with Board support.   Several thousands of dollars were raised in a garage sale to purchase the landscaping shrubs.  (This was also the case at Twin Lakes Cabana)  Countless hours of hands on labor was provided by members and staff.  The Business office does have a slide disc that documents with pictures and description of all the work in progress from start to the dedication.  It is a valuable part of our history and acknowledges many who participated. 

It was astounding and gratifying to see our community come together in a common cause and the pride shown by most of the members.  I have not seen that since.  Present day care and little improvement has been hit or miss at best.  The present Board and committee's show little interest in this park.  Not only does this park show respect for our veterans, but it is also an example of those members and staff who worked to make it happen.  Lack of care and improvement is also disrespect for those who made this park happen. 

Back in those days we had a term that we used..."Surfside Spirit"..It was alive and well.  It's past time to bring it back.  Thank you Veterans and thank you all for the special place we honor them..Veterans Park.

16 comments:

Larry Amundson said...

Whether you observe Veteran's Day publicly or privately is a matter of choice. It would have been nice when Kerry and I and George and about a dozen others showed up to have a larger turn-out but it is what it is. I would ask that people (without malice but simple ignorance) would not use the phrase " Happy Veteran's Day " when meeting others on this day of remembrance. I literally cringe when I hear this. Thanks George for being the front man for this plot of land.

Anonymous said...

An easy way to remember -

We honor Veteran's who gave their lives on Memorial Day at the cemetery.

We honor Veteran's who are still with us on Veteran's Day at the parade.

Thank you for your service~

Anonymous said...

That's a good way to educate. People mean well and can accept it if you remind them Memorial Day is for those who are no longer with us. Just smile and tell them thanks but I'm still above ground, knock on wood. A little sense of humor can go a long way. It's our duty to educate those unfamiliar with custom.

lost hope said...

I think a lot of people have truly forgotten what Memorial Day means. They think it's about BBQ's, Store sales and parties.I personally think that is sad! It's about remembering those who gave their life for our country and our Freedom!

JoAnne said...

I hope everyone sees the notice in the weekender today! Time has been changed to 8:00 am Monday for the flag ceremony at Veterans Park!🇺🇸

Anonymous said...

I'll never tell someone, "Happy Memorial Day" or "Happy Veteran's Day" again.

George Miller said...

Nor I. Good point was made.

Steve Cox said...

It's useful to remind ourselves why the day of remembrance was established, but it IS a 3 day weekend, and kind of launches the Summer recreational season. That's good reason for celebration. But it should be well understood how foolish it sounds, wishing someone a "happy gravemarker day!".

But the sentiment is really excitement about the beginning of the Summer season.

Anonymous said...

Happy Memorial Day. Seriously. I don't want you to have a terrible, angry, or disgruntled day. It's amazing what people complain about. One can't be happy remembering those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country?

Larry Amundson said...

I just realized that I used the term Happy Veteran's Day when I meant Happy Memorial Day. I blew it big time. I apologize for the misspeak. And to 11:08 AM poster I am amazed at your statement. No you can't be happy remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice BUT you can't be reflective and grateful.

Anonymous said...

I guarantee you that I don't view them as suckers and losers like Trump does. My grandfathers in my family tree who died for our country wouldn't expect my sadness when I remember them. They would want me to be happy. I am reflective and grateful. Don't tell me that I am not.

Anonymous said...

It's not about the "I am not's" It's about those who gave their all so that we can be free.

lost hope said...

Well said!

Steve Cox said...

No matter who you are, and how careful in how you say things to others, our real message is sometimes misconstrued. We also make awkward statements without ill-intent.

But I'd say, no it's not okay to feel happy about a relatives sacrifice of life in battle, but "proud" is a positive feeling, and we can be sad but proud. 1:00 says that I think.

But quickly judging someone for such stuff on the blog is just sniping in a way. As Americans, I think we are all appreciative of our military who are called upon for so many things in this violent world. Politics are another matter. We all owe a debt of gratitude to our miltary and other first responders.

My Dad and all my uncles served in WWII, ALL BUT MY 100% German, but U.S. born uncle who felt great shame for being refused his volunteering for service. He was a wonderful person, and didn't like my asking him to recount what happened. Knowing his story made me respect him even more.

Anonymous said...

There was a larger crowd at the memorial than in years past, nicely done by the local veterans organization and live taps. Too bad the traffic that went by did not stop to pay respects.

George Miller said...

This event helps to put a better face on Surfside. Thanks to all who attended and participated. It would also be nice to see an event scheduled for Veterans day. Would also be nice to see this park improved on a continual basis.