Saturday, July 11, 2020

Name calling

++"Miserable old coot"+++++

When someone made the comment that I was a "miserable old coot",  I first took it as name calling, but since have realized that it more of a description than name calling.  They were right in the description as "Old coot", but not as "miserable".  Iam not miserable.  A friend sent me the following, and I think it says it far better than I can.  I think a lot of our fellow members will agree with this.  Next time you are "named called", it may just be a desription.

AGING
I hit the golf ball any way I can and laugh if it goes in the lake.   That's the breaks. I'm just happy I can still hit that golf ball. I am forwarding this to those on my Seniors e-mail list because it is so   well written. Please send back (I did) It's neat. Don't delete this one, you'll laugh when you see the return message.

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; beforethey understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it, if I choose to read, or play on the computer until 4 AM or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those   wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 & 70's, and if I, at the same time, wish   to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach, in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging   body, and will dive into the waves, with abandon if I choose to,   despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They too, will get old

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just   as well forgotten. And, I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not   break, when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet passes? But, broken hearts are what   give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being   imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray,   and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my   face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair   could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what   other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned   the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while   I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been,   or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day   (if I feel like it).

MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART! +

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks George!
What's the next topic George?

Steve Cox said...

Thanks George ! Good points to be remembered. I think most of us can too easily be predisposed to "worry" over trifles and/or things we have no control over. That's a waste of time and energy that can as easily be used in a positive way. Holding on to anger is the same dynamic.

george said...

Just a little light break in all the trouble our Country and HOA is facing right now. Many of our members are themselves or have family and friends facing an unknown cris. It just seems to me that our association does bot need or should pile on at this time. We need to lighten up on the members so that they can devote their time and energy in what is really important, Their family. The trees growing a couple of feet is not the end of the world.

Anonymous said...

Proud to be a Coot myself, call me Crazy Cooter! I support change in Surfside hoa board and In our country. I am also now a supporter of this blog and host. MSGA!

Anonymous said...

Only an old coot calls an old coot an old coot