Thursday, April 30, 2020

Honor Roll

Those who deserve recognition for their deeds.

These are my observations from living here 15 years and being an active member in our Homeowners Association.  I will not add my name to the lists below, but would be honored to be listed among them.

No one is perfect, especially me, but there is a common thread among all listed below. That thread is to serve our community for the good of all the members. Of course many if not most, became involved because they were more interested in some issues than others.  For whatever reason they became involved, they expanded that interest and served honorably.  I am sorry to say, that is lacking today. 

Some you will recognize, and many you won't.  Some have moved away, some have passed away and some have just faded away. Everyone of them had a different personality with different ways of expressing themselves. Some were very abrasive, including pounding a gavel on the table, to shouting down members. They made mistakes that some admitted and others didn't.  I did not agree many times, but even in disagreement, there was always a degree of respect displayed by all. The important thing is the common thread they shared.  That thread was for a better Homeowners 
association that served all members.   

This topic is not being posted so that you can come back with all the negative things you can find to say about those on the list, but rather to honor them for what they have done.  I am certain that they have done much more than you or I.  You won't find one "Anonymous" among them. I apologies for misspelling names and those I have missed.  Corrections appreciated.  When you see a name and you say to yourself...Why them?...Ask yourself,  What have I done? 

Board Members:


Warren Olson
Ken Karch
Jimmy Applegate
Ray Gardner
Jerry Dunn
Dave Olson
Martin Jenkins
Gene Bowen
Larry Nelson
Deb Richmond
Walt Platt
Larry Raymer
Mark Scott
John Williams
Patrick Johansen
Deb Blagg
Thomas Rogers
Valerie Harrison

Committee Members:

Jane Bowen
Georgia Mourikus
Sheila Wallace
Sophia Platt
Ann Thorenson
Craig Masson
Claudia Justice
Ralph Dennington
DuWayne Mott

Employees:

Every employee is on this list. 
Kimber Haltermann
Heidi Lawson
Holli Kemmer
Nancy Cheney
Barbara Robinson
Bob Haskin & his crew
Jim Meyers
Ginger
Paul
Larry Clark
and many more

Others of note:  (positive contributions to our community)

Stan Jackson
Tommy Faught
Chief Brundage
Commissioner Frank Wolf
Pacific County

Note:
For the life of me, I can't remember the first General managers name and others.  Help is appreciated.  Suggestion to add is also appreciated. I will not post negative comments about any of those listed but will post the positive comments.  I will consider and add your suggestions if I agree.   


9 comments:

Larry Amundson said...

I'm pretty sure that Ken Karch was the first official General Manager. Took me a while to warm up to him but then I grew to greatly appreciate his ability to get things done. Unfortunately that did not set well with those on the board who wanted to micro manage his decision making.

george said...

Thanks Larry. That is what I was looking for and thanks for your service on the Board and to the community.

blog host, George said...

NOTICE..Please confine your comments to the positive things these honorable people have done. There are other topic areas where other views can be expressed. Let's keep this positive, please.

Steve Cox said...

I doubt that many members know more than a few of these folks. I only know 2 or 3, and only one of them well. Having served on an HOA Board for 3 years, and very involved with the HOA for a few, I understand that it is usually an act of dedication that receives little acknowledgement. We have to do it for our own satisfaction, if not driven by self-interest.

I assume your appraisal to be accurate, but I suspect most of us probably don't know who these folks are/were, or what their focus was. How do we compare among all of the volunteers, to the current Trustees and Comm. members ?

JoAnne said...

Just went by Veterans Park and the new flags are beautiful! Thanks to whoever made this happen🇺🇸

Anonymous said...

Great! Hey who the woman driving the old army green covertable Jeep? Driving like wildlife by well over posted speed limit? Going to cause accident in near future

Anonymous said...

Yes I saw that gal driving down Street at high rate of speed with very determined look on her face thru face scarf. My dog got out way just in time

Larry Amundson said...

Getting off topic per usual.

Valerie Harrison said...

Thank you George for the appreciation. I have always tried to make living in Surfside an enjoyable place to live.